- 27 Download
- 0.00 KB File Size
- 0 File Count
- October 24, 2018 Create Date
- April 17, 2019 Last Updated
The following represents a selection of open access articles about cultural property protection in a military context.
- Cunliffe, Emma, Fox, Paul, and Stone, Peter. 2018. The Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict: Unnecessary Distraction or Mission-Relevant Priority?NATO Open Publications 2 (4). Available online.
- NATO Legal Gazette 38, 2017. Table of Contents:
- The integration of Cultural Property Protection into NATO Environmental Protection Policy: An Example of Good Practice, by LTC David J.Burbridge
- NATO-led Military Operations and Cultural Property Protection, by Dr. Frederik Rosén
- Presenting the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of an Armed Conflict and its 1999 Second Protocol with a special focus on peacetime responsibilities, by Jan Hladík
- Cultural Property Protection and the Law of War Crimes, by Prof. Roger O’Keefe
- War Crimes & Cultural Heritage: Syria and Beyond, by Prof. Mark V.Vlasic and Dr. Helga Turku
- ISIS’ use of Cultural Property as a Tool for Terrorism and a Means to Finance It, by Dr. Helga Turku
- The U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield and the Blue Shield Movement, by Prof. Patty Gerstenblith and Prof. Nancy C. Wilkie
- The Importance of Training Cultural Property Protection-An Example from the U.S. Army, by Dr. Laurie W. Rush
- Heritage at Risk: Mapping as a Form of Protection and Preservation for Global Heritage Sites, by Dr. Kathryn O. Fay and Dr. George W. Calfas
- Great, Greatest or Outstanding: Defining Cultural Property in NATO Operational Context, by Zarghoen Rawan
- Review: Protection of Cultural Property-Military Manual (2016), by Mette Prassé HartovCultural Property Protection in Armed Conflict according to the 1954 Hague Convention and its Second Protocol, by Zarghoen Rawan
- Kane, S. 2013. Lessons Learned from Libya. SAA Archaeological Record 13(3), 9-14. Available on the SAA website.
- Russell, J. 2004. Efforts to Protect Archaeological Sites and Monuments in Iraq, 2003-2004. In: Emberling, G., & Hanson, K. (eds). CATASTROPHE! The Looting and Destruction of Iraq’s Past. Oriental Institute Museum Publications No. 28. The Oriential Institute, Chicago, 29-44. Available on the Oriental Institute website.
- Weiss, Thomas G. and Connelly, Nina. 2017. Cultural Cleansing and Mass Atrocities: Protecting Cultural Heritage in Armed Conflict Zones. J. Paul Getty Trust Occasional Papers (1).
- Luck. Edward C. 2018. Cultural Genocide and the Protection of Cultural Heritage. J. Paul Getty Trust Occasional Papers (2).
These articles are not available open-access. Please email us for a copy.
- P. G. Stone (2013) A four-tier approach to the protection of cultural property in the event of armed conflict, Antiquity 87, pp166–177
- P. G. Stone (2016) The Challenge of Protecting Heritage in Times of Armed Conflict, Museum International 265-268, pp40-54.