- Download 8405
- File Size 20 MB
- File Count 7
- Create Date 15 December 2021
- Last Updated 6 December 2022
You can download reports by Blue Shield International here.
- Dr Emma Cunliffe, Blue Shield International, and Dr Tobias Strahl, Traversals Intelligence: Coping With Culture 2022. Workshop 3 - Including mapped and unmapped heritage in military planning: navigating the landscape
This workshop aimed to assist participating delegates develop their ability to consider the difficulties in including mapped and unmapped heritage of international, national, and local significance in operational military planning. The workshop was split into four parts. It began by introducing the attendees, who were from both heritage and military backgrounds, to each other and to the Blue Shield Movement, before discussing the complexities of heritage listing and cultural landscapes. This was followed by a mapping exercise, and then an introduction to Traversals Intelligence Platform in a real time exercise, finishing with syndicate briefings and feedback.
- The Nordic Center for Cultural Heritage and Armed Conflict (CHAC) and Blue Shield International, Expert and Stakeholder Meeting: Cultural Property Protection: Global Capacity and Financing, August 2021.
Cultural Property Protection (CPP) enjoys increasing focus as a part of the broader peace and security agenda. As concerns about cultural property (CP) recently started to migrate from the cultural sector to the defence and development sectors, aid planners and military commanders often find themselves lacking the tools for including CP in the planning, conduct and after-action review of initiatives and operations. There remains a considerable gap between developments in international law and policy, on the one hand, and practical investment in the area at national and international levels. Against this background, an Expert and Stakeholder Meeting was organized by the Nordic Center for Cultural Heritage and Armed Conflict and the Blue Shield International on Tuesday 22 – Wednesday 23 June 2021. We invited 20 stakeholders/focal points working on CPP or related issues in national and international organizations and agencies. (Read more about the workshop here).
- Cunliffe, Emma. 2020. EXERCISE LOYAL LEDA 2020 REPORT. November 2020, Blue Shield International: Newcastle, UK.
Blue Shield International (BSI) was invited to support NATO Exercise Loyal Leda 2020 (LOLE20), a Headquarters Supreme Allied Commander Transformation scheduled exercise to train and evaluate the Combat Readiness certification of HQ Allied Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) as a warfighting Corps Headquarters. BSI took part in its capacity as a cultural property protection (CPP) expert. It was designed and delivered by NATOs Joint Force Training Centre (JFTC). The aim of this report is to capture the experience in order to table lessons that inform both BSI and NATO thinking about cultural heritage protection activities on operations, as well as the cultural heritage protection environment on future command post exercises. (Read more about the exercise here).
- Cunliffe, Emma. 2019. EXERCISE TRIDENT JACKAL 2019 REPORT. 11 October 2019, Blue Shield International: Newcastle, UK.
Blue Shield staff provided cultural property protection mentoring and training on NATO exercise Trident Jackal 2019 with NATO HQ NRDC-Spain. Staff at the JTF HQ worked in partnership with cultural heritage protection subject matter experts during operational planning in the fictional scenario. They developed their understanding of the political-military-heritage framework fundamental to the delivery of effective cultural heritage protection. (Read more about the exercise).
- Fox, Paul and Cunliffe, Emma. 2019. Blue Shield International CPP Exercise Content and Scenario Planning Workshop, Blue Shield International: Newcastle, UK.
The aim of the workshop was to share perspectives on the content of CPP civil-military exercise content, working out of collective training experience during recent military command post and field training exercises, civilian equivalents, and real-world operational experience, and on designing and delivering CPP civil-military exercise content, building on collective training experience during recent command post and field training exercises in order to:
- Enrich future exercise scenarios such that CPP is encountered as a factor with true operational impact.
- Suggest individual training objectives relating to the training of staff officers with CPP responsibilities, and/ or staff officers with some CPP training.
- Inform CPP doctrine development.
- Fox, Paul. 2018. EXERCISE TRIDENT JAGUAR 2018 REPORT (2). 30 September 2018, Blue Shield International: Newcastle, UK.
In late 2017 NATO invited Blue Shield International (BSI) to participate in Exercise Trident Jaguar 2018 alongside other NGOs. This was a first for BSI, reflecting both NATO’s emerging institutional commitment to cultural heritage protection, and BSI’s determination to develop closer relations with state party armed forces and NATO itself. From BSI’s perspective, exercise participation was a success that should be repeated on future exercises. The aim of this report is to capture the experience in order to table lessons that inform both BSI and NATO thinking about cultural heritage protection activities on operations, as well as the cultural heritage protection environment on future command post exercises. (Read more about the exercise here).
- Mincio, D. and Christophe, J. 2010 Mission to Port-au-Prince, 11th-16th April 2010, Blue Shield.
In 2010, two experts Danielle Mincio (IFLA) and Christophe Jacobs (ICA and ANCBS) were sent by Blue Shield International to work with Haitians. Information was collected for the establishment of a Blue Shield center for the treatment of damaged cultural heritage properties. In that occasion, assessments made previously to quantify the affected collections and various types of treatments which will be offered in the centre were completed.
|CWC 2022 Workshop 3 Results_Mapped and Unmapped Heritage.pdf||Download|
|BSI LOLE20 report November 2020.pdf||Download|
|BSI Jackal report 2019-compressed.pdf||Download|
|CPP Scenario Planning Workshop 2019 - Combined.pdf||Download|
|Mission to Port-au-Prince-Report.pdf||Download|