- Download 6806
- File Size 13 MB
- File Count 13
- Create Date 15 December 2021
- Last Updated 13 October 2022
About Blue Shield (Articles)
The following articles about Blue Shield and its history have kindly been shared open access.
- Varlamoff, M-T. (2002) The Blue Shield Initiative. Joining Efforts to Preserve our Cultural Heritage in Danger, LIBER QUARTERLY 12, 275-282
- Aglassa, T. (c.2002) Blue Shield in Benin, in ICOM Cultural Heritage Disaster Preparedness and Response, pp. 103-113.
- Varlamoff, M-T., and MacKenzie, G. (?) Archives and Libraries in Times of War: The Role of IFLA and ICA within ICBS (International Committee of the Blue Shield)
- Koch, C. (2003) A Blue Shield for the Protection of our Endangered Cultural Heritage. Proceedings of the 68th IFLA General Conference 2002, Open Session co-organised by PAC Core Activity and the Section on National Libraries. International Preservation Issues Number Four. Translated from the original French by C. Koch.
- Pinna, G. and Carcione, M. (2003) The Italian Blue Shield Committee, in ICOM Cultural Heritage Disaster Preparedness and Response, pp. 159-167. Available for download.
- Shimmon, R. (2003) The Blue Shield: the Cultural Red Cross? World Library and Information Congress: 69th IFLA General Conference and Council Satellite meeting, 31 July - 1 August 2003: Preparing for the Worst, Planning for the Best: Protecting our Cultural Heritage from Disaster
- Shimmon, R. (2004) The International Committee of the Blue Shield 1998-2004: an Overview, ALEXANDRIA 16(3), 133-141
- Van Der Plas, E. (2004) New Fund for Emergency Aid to Culture: Cultural Emergency Response, ALEXANDRIA 16(3), 159-169
- Carcione, M. (2009) The Regime of International Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict: the role of the ICBS and cultural NGOs against UNESCO. Partially published in War Free World Heritage Listed Cities - Project News no.7 July 2013, pp. 1-2.
- Stone, P.G. (2013) A four-tier approach to the protection of cultural property in the event of armed conflict, Antiquity 87, 166–177
- Bogoeski, K. (2016) Twenty Years Blue Shield (1996 - 2016).
- P. Gerstenblith, P., and Wilkie, N. C. (2017) The U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield and the Blue Shield Movement, NATO Legal Gazette 38, 70-79. Available for download.
- Stone, P. G. (2017) Protecting cultural property in the event of armed conflict: the work of the Blue Shield, Adelaide Law School Research Unit on Military Law and Ethics RUMLAE Research Paper No. 17-02
- Stone, P. G. (2019) The Seven Risks to Cultural Property in Armed Conflict. British Army Review (BAR Special Report Culture in Conflict), 102-113
- Stone, P. G. (2022) Protecting Cultural Property in Armed Conflict: The Necessity for Dialogue and Action Integrating the Heritage, Military, and Humanitarian Sectors. In: Cuno and Weiss (eds). Cultural Heritage and Mass Atrocities. Getty Publications, Los Angeles
In 2021, the founders of Blue Shield received an Advocate Award from the IIC "for their exceptional work to establish and sustain the International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS)". The Award Ceremony included a panel discussion on the founding of the Blue Shield (transcript below).
The following articles are not open access. If you would like a copy, please contact Blue Shield International, or download them from an academic library.
- Mackenzie, G. P. (2000) Working for the Protection of the World’s Cultural Heritage: The International Committee of the Blue Shield, Journal of the Society of Archivists, 21:1, 5-10, DOI: 10.1080/00379810050006876
- Varlamoff, M-T. (2002) The Blue Shield Initiative. Joining Efforts to Preserve our Cultural Heritage in Danger, Lieber Quarterly 12 (275-282)
- Stone, P.G. (2016) The Challenge of Protecting Heritage in Times of Armed Conflict, Museum International No. 265-268, 40-54. Though, see the republished 2019 version above in British Army Review
- Rush, L.W. (2019) Blue Shield Protection of Cultural Property: A Perspective from the Field. In: S. Hufnagel, D. Chappell (eds.), The Palgrave Handbook on Art Crime, 607-624 https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-54405-6_28
|Stone_Protecting Cultural Property CHMA.pdf||Download|
|Varlamoff and Mackenzie - Archives and Libraries in Times of War. The Role of IFLA and ICA within ICBS (International Committee of the Blue Shield).pdf||Download|
|Van de Plas - CER and Blue Shield.pdf||Download|
|Shimmon - The Blue Shield. The Cultural Red Cross - World Library Congress 31 July - 1 August 2003.pdf||Download|
|IIC Advocay Award for BS founding -en_2.pdf||Download|
|Blue Shield_International Fact Sheet - Nov 2020||Download|
|Aglassa Blue Shield in Benin in ICOM Cultural Heritage Disaster Preparedness and Response.pdf||Download|
|Krste Bogoeski_Twenty Years Blue Shield (1996-2016).pdf||Download|
|Carcione- The Regime of International Protection of Cultural property in the Event of Armed Conflict.pdf||Download|
|Shimmon, R - ICBS 1998-2004 an overview.pdf||Download|
|Stone_Protecting CP in Armed Conflict_the Blue Shield RUMLAE Res Paper 17 02.pdf||Download|
|Varlamoff, M.-T. The Blue Shield Initiative.pdf||Download|